My #1 tip for 2015...stop outsourcing your life!
Posted January 1st, 2015 by Mimi
Happy New Year and welcome to 2015! I have a real thing for years ending in a 5 or a 0. It seems that good things happen for me in those years :) So I just KNOW this year is going to be a wonderful one. Last year was one of embracing my role as guardian of our home and budget, and really finding a new joy and satisfaction from performing that role to the best of my ability. I came to appreciate that if I treated my role in the home like any other career and my tasks as my 'job' then it made everything more enriching. I've shared much of my experience in that area on the Controlling our Budget threads. I plan to continue sharing ideas there :) Along similar lines, my number one plan for 2015 is to 'outsource' as little as possible. Why would I, for example, pay an enormous amount of money to send my daughter to a Deportment Class (sort of grooming and manners), as a good friend of mine has done these holidays, when I can spend treasured time with her doing that myself. Why would I pay $1000 to join a gym and then find I have to pay a cleaner to free up my time to attend the gym? Why wouldn't I use keeping my home and garden pristine, as my opportunity to exercise? Why would I pay someone else to host my daughters birthday party when I can do it more beautifully and meaningfully at home, cake included? Outsourcing costs time, effort and money and is counterproductive in so many ways. From shopping to dog washing to child care to cooking and cleaning to personal life coaches and gyms, to creating gifts and memories, we're being led to believe that someone else knows what we need better than ourselves! No more outsourcing for me. This is my year of INsourcing. Who's joining me?
- Ideas for Random Acts of Kindness
- Who else is melancholy today?
- Pasta with crunchy potato cubes, pesto and parmesan....
- Fresh and tasty Malaysian Pineapple Salad...
- Really easy Gnocchi...and delicious made Gluten Free too...
- Barramundi Spring Rolls make a filet-o-fish go a long way...
- Lunch box cakes...Spiced Honey Cake...
- Best ever Christmas stuffing...
- Champagne marinated, avocado stuffed Chicken Legs...
- Sweet potato bake with roasted marshmallows...bizarrely scrumptious!
- Give a bouquet of greenery...just as pretty as flowers..
- An extravagantly decorated table, saves on food that goes to waste!
- Flavoured sweet butters...great for Christmas pancakes...and easy gift in a jar..
- How to stock an emergency pantry without stretching a tight budget...
- Try a new ingredient.....Capers...Spiral Pasta with Salmon and Capers
- Jewelled Eton Mess in a Cone...nice, easy, truly awesome dessert.
- Light and Modern Sweet n Sour Pork Stir Fry in a tangy broth
- Gift or Scented storage idea..Holiday snap linen sachets...
- Refrigerator Apple Crumble Pies....very yummy no bake dessert
- Comfort food....Cream of Winter Vegetable Soup...no cream
- Comfort food....Nanna's Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Gingerbread cookies...not just for Christmas :)
- Home made Toasted Coconut Marshmallows
- Mimi's Poached Chicken, Citrus Dukkah, and Bar Room Coleslaw + Home made Danish
- Mimi's Home Made Custard
- Chicken,Camembert and Cranberry Bon-Bons
- Silverbeet Coconut Curry...grow your own and eat for almost free!
- Creamy Egg Spread...makes a couple of eggs go a long way :)
- Tough Times Meal Ingredients #2...Meat tenderizers
- Lamb meatballs with herbed Quinoa and home made Moroccan seasoning...yummy, healthy...
- Playing Coles at their own game....and winning...
- What's in the box....decluttering the pantry!
- Tough Times Meal Ingredients #1
- What do you consider essential in a tough times pantry?
- Frugal Fridays....what did you do that saved you money this week?
- Tacos with a difference.
- Baked Ricotta feeds us for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- These glass igloos in Lapland are amazing!
- Creamy Cherry Ripe Fudge...
- What is on your list of things NOT to do, that contributes to your quality of life...
- Comfort food....Microwave eggs in potato nests...
- 5 minute Nicoise Salad
- Roasted vegetable salad with spicy sausage and honey mustard dressing
- My Imperfect Insourcing....celebration cakes....
- Yummy Chicken Ragout....two meals from one.
- Old fashioned, super easy Vanilla Custard Slice
- A year of simple daily pleasures 2015
- My #1 tip for 2015...stop outsourcing your life!
- Mango Sweet Chilli Turkey Breast
- Mimi's Chocolate Granola Clusters...easy gift or holiday snack
- Proud Mum Moment...a Mockingjay cake for a Hunger Games Fan
- Mimi's Christmas Day Menu 2014...gluten free too :)
- Really easy DIY Indoor Snowball Fight Kits...cheap, fun gift :)
- Simple, elegant gift wrapping for 50c!
- It wouldn't be Christmas without....
- DIY 3 ingredient Caramel Sauce...great easy gift or yummy pantry item
- What makes you feel rich?
- Assista Sista....helping victims of domestic violence...
- Mimi's Fresh and Delicious Thai Beef and Noodle Salad...
- Christmas wrapping ideas...It's all in the packaging
- Home made After Dinner Mints or Flavoured Choc Thins...easy peasy
- Hasselback Roasted Beetroot with Lemon Feta and Chives...really easy light lunch or Christmas Entree
- Salted Caramel and Ginger Chicken Thigh Cutlets
- A bit of silk and thread = pretty gifts...
- My best ever home facial...cost nil...feel good factor....priceless.
- Mimi's Lantern Bouquets....gorgeous gift or centrepiece for under $20
- Pearlised Butter Cookies for eating or gifting :)
- Creating memories this Christmas....my low key Christmas 2014
- Mimis own 'Aged' Sticky Balsamic Dressing...gourmet gift
- Mimi's Posh Bubble & Squeak
- The saga of the $28 strawberry, and Mimi's Moroccan Spaghetti
- Mimi's Vanilla Panna Cotta with home made Chocolate Sauce
- Mimi's Spaghetti Pie. Cheap n' easy.
- Pineapple and Fennel Pickles and Sumac Chicken Skewers
- Food Nostalgia Week these school holidays!
- Mimi's Cheaty Pad Thai style dinner
- When the budget is tight, the Pharmacist is your friend :)
- Nifty One Fifty..powering through the days chores in 2 1/2 hours!
- Button/Stone/Boiled Egg Soup....a lesson in making do :)
- Power Cooking and ten things to make with Flour and Eggs + simple ingredients
- Dyeing and altering revitalises just about anything for next to nothing!
- Power Cooking...Teabread three ways...Banana, Pear & Craisin, Marmalade & Earl Grey
- Garden and landscaping plants that have the potential to earn you $$$
- Nanna's European (IKEA) style meatballs in creamy sauce with buttered noodles
- Red Bean Garlic Butter Kievs....very yummy and frugal to boot :)
- Budget busting meals...Cauliflower Potato Curry
- Taking control of our own budget so THAT budget won't matter so much.
- How did you celebrate Mothers Day?
- Dyeing techniques that use plants, seeds, leaves, nuts, and a hammer!
- Berry and Nutella Baked French Toast...Mothers Day Breakfast anyone?
- Home made burgers....how many variations can we list?
- The Pros and Cons of favourite SS ideas
- How to give your kids a private school style education at a state school :)
- Making the most of meat...Lamb Shank Korma to Spicy Lamb and Bean Soup
- Cheesy Bacon, Tomato and Egg Bake for Breakfast and a reflection on ANZAC day.
- Pork, Veal and Chicken Terrine..mouthwatering meatloaf to serve hot or cold
- Easter Freckles...cheap, cute, colourful and done in under 15 minutes
- 15 minute Luxury Brownie Bites for Gift Giving...pretty and pretty awesome tasting too!
- No $, no time, need to look great? $18 fake ponytail gives you instant groomed glamour!
- How much do you pay per bag of groceries and how many bags do you end up with?
- Extreme Meals from Nothing...Stuffed Golden Crispy Chicken Skin Parcels
- Stovetop/Slow Cooker Teriyaki Corned Beef with Sweet Soy Rice
- Low GI Sweet Vanilla Chia Seed Breakfast
- Lettuce Sushi for an easy yummy lunch!
- Cinnamon Apple Fritters..when the fridge is bare and the apples are scary!
- Wardrobe Survival Skills .... making vintage style clothing for my daughter :)
- Mimi's Golden Syrup Tart for sufferers of Cafe` Avoidance Syndrome
- Roasted Pumpkin, Bacon and Onion Microwaved Risotto...when the fridge is bare...
- My Peppa Pig cake and other cake making adventures.
- Petit Fours....little bite sized cakes...morsels of more-ish.
- Hand dyed muslin roses for Valentines Day :)
- Budget friendly Thai Fish Cakes with Dipping Sauce
- One Chicken, Many Meals....Mimis' way
- Creamy Fruit Ice Blocks...with Vegan/Dairy Free/Sugar Free Variation
- Turkish no-cheese Pizzas (Lamuchun). Easy, fresh tasting and delish.
- Frangipani Pie...Mums special recipe and a family favourite
- 10 retro ideas from my childhood that make good modern day SS sense
- Wind down with Herbal Iced Teas
- Christmas 2014...start now for this December and save big dollars.
- Golden Dream (Vanilla + Orange) Cheesecake
- Jungle Fever Ice Blocks
- Christmas Dessert and six gifts in 15 minutes...forgotten someone? No time, no cash? Here's help.
- Who knew? High end Designer Copycats of SS gift ideas.
- Aussie Nectarine and Craisin Christmas Cake
- $7 on Baby Wipes and Mr Muscle saves $200 on cleaning
- My low key Christmas 2013
- After Dinner Mint Liqueur...$20 for six bottles...under 20 minutes to make!
- Easy peasy snow cones and slushies!
- Super cute marshmallow Christmas Trees...inexpensive stocking stuffer treat.
- Caramel Maple Fudge Wedges with Anzac Crumble topping...easy!
- Luxury gold leafed and embellished Coconut Ice...Christmas or anytime treat!
- $50 loo seat and a proper clean and tidy up saves over $1000 in renovations
- Treat night...Black Forest Trifle...
- So Halloweens nearly here...how about some Mock Brains for dinner?
- Mimi's Bircher Muesli
- Creamy custard with baked meringue topping...no pastry...easy peasy!
- Baked Summer Garden Casserole..no egg, vegan, gluten free, scrumptious.
- Living a life of luxury for free....
- Scrummy Quinoa Salad...really easy, delish, vegan friendly, gluten free
- Kitchen Survival Skills....Under $2 Crepe Cake Stack with Lemony Sugar
- Kitchen survival skills....cheapskates fried rice to feed six
- Bargain wedding gown to fab formal dress. Is it possible?
- Life Changing Bread...I'll let you know if it changes my life!
- Kitchen Survival Skills - Creamy Scrambled Eggs, no fat, no fuss
- Kitchen survival skills for teens....Carbonara Noodles
- Using essential oils for skin care, gifts, and aromatherapy
- Chilli Con Carne...make it light and fresh with greens from the garden
- Teaching kitchen survival skills to teens and inexperienced cooks
- Aloe Vera Gel makes the best Makeup primer ever!
- Ancient Beauty Secrets..."Queen of Hungary Water" Skin Toner
- Cauliflower and Rice Slice with Peas and Cheese
- So that's Karma....
- Staying positive in tough times...
- The Devil on my Shoulder
- Copycat Palmers Body Butter
- The great mysteries of life...can you add some?
- An interesting idea...can you manage your higher needs if your basic ones are not met?
- Double up on meals, desserts and snacks with clever use of ready made ingredients
- The Tim Tam Cake, Fruit Tingle Macarons, and other things I should never eat....
- Super super cheap packaging supplies for art and craft, and gift wrapping
- Random acts of kindness and volunteering...Cheap as Chips Chickenless Chicken Soup
- Random Acts of Kindness and Volunteering....One hand muffin pan treats
- Stupid fashion advice...
- Today I'll be happy if....
- Random Acts of Kindness and Volunteering....Comfort Baskets
- Random acts of kindness..Glazed Orange and Carrot Muffins to give away or keep!
- Career planning...where will the jobs be in 10 years?
- Campfire food...Choc marshmallow popcorn balls...yummm!
- Campfire food...Easiest ever dinner! Pasta and tasty herbed veg in foil parcels.
- Campire food...Raspberry Meringue Apricot Parcels
- A hug for all the Motherless Daughters and Sons today...
- What are your children learning by imitation?
- Do you do The Friendly Driver Wave?
- We're Glamping (camping in style)...who wants to join us?
- Chocolatier Style White Hot Chocolate
- Something exquisite every day
- Vegan Rocket, Basil and Toasted Almond Rice Paper Rolls with dipping sauce
- Write a Haiku Poem as a gift...
- Low Fat Vegan Potato and Pea Curry made with soy milk and spices...yummy!
- Do you shop on price, origin of ingredients, dietary restrictions, seasonal variations or other?
- 30 day Vegan challenge. Support appreciated!
- Apple Tray Bake...inexpensive, easy and yummy.
- A new kind of exercise...
- Soft-as-a-Cherubs-Cheek Lush-a-Like Face Scrub...
- Six Degrees of Separation...who do you 'almost' know?
- Make your own 100% natural Facial Serum for mere cents..
- French Milled Soaps with Milk and Macadamia Oil
- Dinner tonight...Budget Busting Baked Tomatoes stuffed with crispy bread cubes and bacon...yum!
- Daisy Cake...rich orange cake with macaroon topping..yum!
- Slow Braised Ham Hock with lightly steamed veges..easy, inexpensive, delicious!
- Delectable Orange and Coconut Cake
- Sticky Date Hot Cross Muffins...yum!
- Paupers Ploughmans Lunch
- Cute no choc Easter Gift...eggshell seedlings...easy!
- Upgrade the ordinary to spesh...Smoked Salmon Impossible Pie
- Ello Salad. Also known as Leafy stuff with leftovers!
- Baked Cereal Milk Bread & Butter Pudd with Creamy Cinnamon Yoghurt
- Barbecue Ready Stuffed Marshmallow Aliens...invading your home soon!
- Thoughts and help for those facing challenges this Christmas
- Inexpensive Christmas decorations and stocking stuffers make for happy memories.
- Nude food...Dates filled with Blueberry Rosewater Cheesecake
- Just because you buy it, doesn't mean you'll use it!
- Make Christmas ornaments from pressed leaves and candle wax..pretty!
- No cost gift...a letter from the heart.
- Nude food...Dessert Sushi with dipping sauce
- Nude food...Baked Field Mushrooms
- Nude food...Chilled Confetti Rice with Warmed Salmon, Greens and Honey Mustard dressing
- Happy Hamper Giving...Simmer Scents
- Happy Hamper Giving...Grinder salts infused with herbs and spices..pretty and pretty yummy too.
- Happy Hamper Giving...Watermelon, Strawberry and Lime Jam.
- Happy Hampers...DIY Gourmet teas and coffees. Too easy!
- Happy Hamper Giving...tips and hints and Pink Rhubarb Relish..
- A Very Savings Christmas Week 4...Limoncello Gifts Day Seven, Summer Lemon Cordial and a spot of kni
- A Very Savings Christmas Week 3...My First Coffee Cup Cozy!
- Limoncello gifts Day One
- A Very Savings Christmas Week Two..Apples and Frills.
- A very Savings Christmas Week One..Notepads and Vodka
- A Very Savings Christmas 2
- A Very Savings Christmas